Who Are NAHB’s Associate Members?

Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinmail

Every year since 2008, the NAHB has conducted a member census in order to better understand the composition and characteristics of the people who belong to its organization. In 2018, 68 percent of NAHB’s members were associate members—those involved in a wide range of support industries and professions including, among others, trade contractors, manufacturers, retailers/distributors, designers, and architects. The remaining 32 percent were builder members who will be highlighted in a post and NAHB special study next month.

Of the 79,867 associate members, 40 percent are primarily subcontractor/specialty trade contractors, 13 percent have a professional specialty, 11 percent are retail dealerships or distributorships, 10 percent are in financial services, 5 percent are wholesale dealerships or distributorships, and 20 percent have some other type of primary activity (Exhibit 1).

In 2018, associate members had a median of 10 employees on payroll. The median number of employees has hovered between 10 and 11 since 2015. Eight percent of associate members had 1 employee, 18 percent had 2 to 4 employees, 19 percent had 5 to 9, 35 percent had 10 to 49, 6 percent had 50 to 99 employees, and 11 percent had 100 or more employees. Two percent had no payroll at all.

The median revenue of NAHB associate members was $2.5 million in 2018, down slightly from the median of $2.6 million in 2017. Associate member median revenue has been in the range of $2.4 million to $2.6 million since 2015.

In 2018, the median age of NAHB associate members was 55. The typical associate member was slightly younger in 2018 than in 2017 (55 vs. 56 years). Six percent of associate members were less than 35 years old, 15 percent were 35 to 44, 27 percent were 45 to 54, 36 percent were 55 to 64, and 16 percent were 65 or older.

For more details about NAHB associate members and a profile of each type of member, please visit housingeconomics.com or click here for the full article.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: