Who Are NAHB’s Associate Members?


Every year since 2008, the NAHB has conducted a member census in order to better understand the composition and characteristics of the people who belong to its organization.  In 2016, 68 percent of NAHB’s members were associate members—those indirectly involved in home building.  The remaining 32 percent were builder members—those directly involved in home building.  Last month we gave readers an in-depth look at NAHB’s builder members, and this month we are going to focus on associate members.

Of the 81,512 associate members, 41 percent are primarily subcontractor/specialty trade contractors, 13 percent have a professional specialty, 11 percent are retail dealerships or distributorships, 9 percent are in financial services, 5 percent are wholesale dealerships or distributorships, and 20 percent have some other type of primary activity (Exhibit 1).

Exhibit 1. Share of Associate Members by Primary Business Activity – 2016
(Percent of Respondents)

In 2016, associate members had a median of 10 employees on payroll, unchanged from 2015, but higher than the median of 9 employees in 2013 and 2014. Six percent of associate members had 1 employee, 18 percent had 2 to 4 employees, 22 percent had 5 to 9, 36 percent had 10 to 49, 6 percent had 50 to 99 employees, and 10 percent had 100 or more employees.  One percent had no payroll at all.

The median revenue of NAHB associate members in 2016 was $2.4 million, down slightly from the median of $2.5 million in 2015, but still much higher than the median revenue in 2014 ($2 million) and in 2013 ($1.8 million).

In 2016, the median age of NAHB associate members was 55. The median age of associate members has been on a steady, upward trajectory: in 2008 it was 50 and reached 55 in 2015 and 2016. Fifty-one percent of associate members have a college or advanced (graduate) degree; and half of associate members have belonged to NAHB for at least 10 years.

For more details about NAHB associate members and a profile of each type of member, please visit housingeconomics.com or click here for the full article.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *