About 3 out of every 10 American adults are currently working from home, on a full- or part-time basis. The finding comes from a recent poll of a representative sample of over 17,000 adults conducted for NAHB by Morning Consult. Gen Z’s made up 12% of respondents, Millennials and Gen X’ers were each 26%, and Boomers another 33%. In terms of education, 31% of respondents had a Bachelor’s or graduate degree and the remaining 69% had less formal education. A breakdown by income shows 55% of respondents earned under $50,000, 30% between $50,000 and $100,000, and 16% had income over $100,000.
The 29% who are currently working from home were asked a follow-up question about their expectation to continue doing so if and when a COVID-19 vaccine is developed and distributed. A majority of respondents, 61%, believe they will be able to continue working from home (either part- or full-time) when the vaccine becomes available, while 20% expect that working from home will no longer be possible at that time, and another 18% simply do not know what to expect.